Wednesday 17 July 2013

Today I'm going to talk about one of my favorite movies. It is called "Dead Poets Society". This film is directed by Peter Weir and starring by Robin Williams (he has worked in other famous films like "Patch Adams" or "Jumanji").
The story is about seven adolescents. They study at Welton Academy, a very rigorous, conservative and aristocratic school.  All of them are destined to be professionals like lawyers, doctors or engineers (being realistic, this is what they parents want). Everything changes when a new English teacher, called John Keating, arrives to Welton Academy. His teaching methods are different. He tries to make them think for themselves. There are many other things too, but this is the most important.
I won’t talk more about the story. I’m going to focus in the importance of literature in this film, principally, poetry. In every important moment there is an allusion to a poem. Here, literature is a way to express what we feel or think. It connects us with what we are. To mention an example, there’s a scene where the students have to show their homework (it consisted in to make a poem). The teacher asks to the shy guy of the class to shows his creation. He can’t do it, because he doesn’t have one. So, the teacher tells him to stand in the front of the class and orders him to creates on the spot. After a very uncomfortable moment, he tries and does it. It was wonderful.
To finish, I leave here what he creates:

I close my eyes and this image floats beside me
The sweaty-toothed madman with a stare that pounds my brains
His hands reach out and choke me
And all the time he’s mumbling
Truth, like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold.
You push it, stretch it, it will never be enough
Kick it beat it, it will never cover any of us.
From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying,
it will just cover your face

as you wail and cry and scream.”

2 comments:

  1. robin williams is great, and this movie is really interesting (: regards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had hear about the film but I've never seen it before. It seens cool.
    Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete